skip to Main Content

All Physical Therapists and Physical Therapy Assistants are required to obtain Continuing Education Units (CEU) or Continuing Competency Units (CCU) order to maintain their professional license in the State of Vermont.

Below are some FAQ’s regarding these requirements.

For more information please visit the Vermont Office of Professional Regulation (OPR).


What is a CCU or CEU?

A CCU is a Continuing Competence Unit, sometimes also referred to as a CEU, Continuing Education Unit.  The requirement to earn CCUs is meant to promote ongoing competence versus just attending a seminar to earn contact hours.

How many CCUs do I need to earn?

The number of hours (or units) you attend or it takes to complete an accredited activity are counted towards your total of units needed to renew your license. In general, 1 hour of continuing competence activity = 1 CCU = 1 Clock Hour.  (please visit the OPR website for more information)

Physical Therapists must attain/document 24 Continuing Competence Units (CCUs) in each 2 year reporting period and Physical Therapist Assistants must attain/document 16 CCUs in each 2 yr. reporting period.

What activities can I use to earn CCUs?

The activity must be related to professional practice of PT (accountability, professional behavior, or professional development) or patient/client management (examination, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis, plan of care, implementation, education, discharge).  The OPR website provides a TABLE that breaks down activities into categories, identifies how many CCUs can be earned in an activity, what documentation is required for proof and the maximum number of CCUs able to be earned in that category.

Who is an “approved provider”?

“Approved Providers” have demonstrated the ability to provide well designed seminars, which include factors such as:  learning objectives, a clear schedule, the ability to provide feedback at the end of the activity, and the ability to earn a certificate of completion (or similar proof of attendance).

Some sponsors of activities have already earned pre-approval status by the OPR, which are listed on their website.

Other organizations or sponsors can become an approved provider by contacting the Office of Professional Regulation.

Do courses taken in another state qualify as earned credits?

Courses do not have to be taken in VT to earn CCUs for Vermont license renewal.  Check the course brochure to see if “approved by VT” is there (or if there is a statement that the course is approved by one of the list of five approval sponsors noted in the OPR Approved Provider Table).  If not, send in the CCU Application paperwork to get OPR approval.

How long must I hold onto all paperwork?

Hold onto all paperwork/proof of attendance for 5 years.  APTA VT offers CEU Locker for PT/PTA’s to manage and maintain their CCU credits.

Back To Top